2.03.2008

Portfolio Update 2/01/08: WylieMoney Back in Black!

If you scroll down to the screenshots of each portfolio, you will see that one month into 2008 the only funds making money are Bond funds and...

Real Estate!

Since I added a Real Estate fund to the WylieMoney Slowly portfolio in January, that portfolio has put significant distance between itself and the Three Fund Index portfolio that ranks after it in percentage gain/loss since May 1st. Just to clarify, this pick was not about market timing- Real Estate was the 9th category I intended to add to the WylieMoney Portfolio back in May and January was the month for pick #9.


The result of this is that the two portfolios of low cost funds I researched and selected, all available through a single brokerage, are solidly outperforming the Vanguard portfolios and indexes they seek to beat. You'll also note that my actual Brokerage and Roth IRA are now in the top four performers since last May. I attribute this to Real Estate as well. Aside from a real estate fund- REACX American Century Real Estate which makes up a little under 4% of my Brokerage account, I have over 4% invested in BXP, Boston Properties. BXP was up over 4% last week alone.

I'm sure I'll pay hefty taxes for owning so much Real Estate in a non-retirement account, but as long as I'm paying taxes on profits, I don't mind.


All the portfolios had a good week, but only one is back in black.

All hypothetical portfolios managed using Morningstar's free online portfolio tool.

WylieMoney 20 Mostly Managed

WylieMoney Slowly

Three Fund Index

Lazy 20 Mostly Index

ETF 20

S&P 500 (SPY)


No comments: