While I must give props for factuality- you will have more money in savings if you do not give any of it away- I must take the props away because this suggestion is evil.
And by evil I mean 'not good.'
I do not mean to suggest that it is evil to not give to public radio. This tip was inspired by marketing almost as annoying as a head on commercial. And bad marketing is worthy of lengthy criticism. Whether or not you give to public radio specifically is up to you. Whether or not you give at all is a different issue altogether.
MFJ over at myfinancialjourney wrote a very nice post about the fine line of frugality- specifically in regards to giving. And whether or not you have- or think you have- enough money to give some away, you also have time, sweat, and support that you can give.
So I would be ok with suggesting that one way to save is to find a charity you want to support and volunteer if you cannot afford to give cash. But if you can afford to give money, where should you give?
Beats me- that is up to you.
But I am going to list some organizations my wife and I have given to and invite you to share ideas too. If you have suggestions please add a comment on this post or send me an email at wyliemoney at gmail dot com and I will add them to this list.
Health/Quality of Life
- American Cancer Society
- American Heart Association
- Children's Hospital Boston (Thanks Kate)
- Hospice Foundation of Cape Cod
- Jimmy Fund (Thanks Anne)
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (Thanks Kate)
- Seven Hills Foundation
- St Jude Children's Hospital (Thanks Anne)
- Boston Jewish Film Festival (specifically in support of Lisa Gossel's film Imagining Peace
- Independent Film Festival of Boston (Thanks Sean)
- Institute of Contemporary Art, Boston (Thanks Greg)
- Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum (Thanks Greg)
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (Thanks Greg)
- Habitat for Humanity (more about this soon!)
- Heifer International (Thanks Sean)
- Project Bread (Wylie walks for hunger!)
- Berklee College of Music
- Colorado College
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund (Thanks Gina)
- Ruby Central (Thanks Sean)
- Music Rising (Thanks Dr. The Edge)